Commercial and Intellectual Property Litigation and Arbitration Specialist
Patrick Goudreau is a partner within the commercial litigation group and has many years of experience in the field of shareholders dispute, distribution agreement, banking law, insolvency and bankruptcy law, real estate, as well as intellectual property. An accomplished and experienced litigator, Patrick frequently represents Canadian and international corporations in all levels of courts, including the Superior Court, the Quebec Court of Appeal and the Federal Courts, as well as national and international arbitration. He also has expertise in domestic and international commercial transactions. After obtaining his diploma in civil law, he completed his Master’s Degree in law at the University of Montreal. Patrick’s thesis focused on banking securities in international commercial transactions. He has published numerous articles dealing with all aspects of bankruptcy, directors’ liability, realization of financial securities within the scope of cross-border transactions and commercial leases.
Patrick is a frequent guest speaker in commercial litigation areas for organizations such as the Montreal Bar, International Law Section of the American Bar Association, and the International Association Young Lawyers (AIJA).
- Master Degree in Law LL.M., University of Montreal, 1999
- Called to the Quebec Bar, 1994
- Bachelor in Law LL.B., University of Montreal, 1992
- Montreal Bar, Chair of the International Committee; Co-Chair of the Organizing Committee of the Chicago NAFTA conference June 2018; Co-Chair of the Organizing Committee of the Montreal USMCA conference November 2018, Co-Chair of the Organizing Committee of the Guadalajara USMCA conference October 2019;
- ICC Canada Arbitration Committee;
- International Law Section of the American Bar Association, Division Chair of the Contracts, Transportation, Energy & Environment Committee; Vice-chair of the International Litigation Committee and of the International Contract Committee, Deputy of the ABASIL Chair 2017-2019, Liaison Officer Montreal Bar and Quebec Bar; Member of the Appointment Committee 2018-2019; Co-Chair of the Organizing Committee of the Fall Meeting 2015 in Montreal;
- International Association of Young Lawyers (AIJA): Honorary Member, official representative of the Canadian section (2004-2007), Member of the Extended bureau (Executive) (2007-2011), Co-Chairman of the Law Course Committee (2007-2011) and Co-Chairman of the Coordination Committee of the 2007 Toronto Congress;
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation (ABF) named in 2016. The ABF is an honorary organization of attorneys, judges, law faculty and legal scholars whose careers have demonstrated extraordinary leadership in their communities and legal profession. Membership is limited to one percent of lawyers admitted to practice in Canada with worldwide fellowship limited.